4/6/11

MISSION ORGANIZATION- FINISHING THE BAKERS RACK

I was on Spring break this past week and started my Spring Cleaning.  I have been on a mission... MISSION ORGANIZATION. Here is one of the first projects I did to organize an often cluttered spot in my kitchen.
 
I have had this bakers rack from a famous Ohio based basket company for many years. I bought the rack and baskets separately and always said I would eventually get the wood shelves for it one day. Well, many years have passed by and I have never bought those lovely wood shelves.
For years I stored a  larger basket on the bottom which covered the bottom part of the rack.  Recently we had to replace our telephones and, unfortunately, our new phones did not have a wall mount ( we should have read the details on the box better).  I needed a shelf to put on the rack to hold the kitchen phone and use as a charging station for cell phones. (now what to do with the ugly phone jack and cord behind the rack?)

I decided to use some cool paper I bought in a tablet, at a local craft store measuring 12 x 24 inches. This paper is not flat/ matte it has a sheen to it (not vinyl).  Its weight is a great for covering items, decoupaging items, and to run through large formatting die cut machines. I especially like it because it can be dusted or wiped clean. The tablet contained 36 various bold designer papers from the HANDMADE line. I chose this subtle green pattern to wrap some corrugated cardboard trimmed to size.
I cut the cardboard 1 inch smaller lengthwise and 2 inches larger width wise for both shelves. I cut the green paper 1.5 inches larger on all sides. I trimmed the corners on bias (diagonal). Wrapped the corners using super sticky adhesive. I finished the edges on under side with wide scotch tape. I am sorry I did not take photos while making it. If you have further questions please let me know. 
 This shelf is located to the right of a long counter, under phone jack, near drawer containing paper and pencils. I use the top basket for holding vitamins and daily medications and the basket on the bottom holds mail/ bills. I am pleased with the way it turned out.
You cannot tell it is cardboard shhhhhhh... its our little secret. ;)

No comments: