1/23/12

CHINESE NEW YEAR- YEAR OF THE DRAGON

At midnight on January 23, 2012, Chinese people around the world will welcome the new year, ushering in the Year of the Dragon.
  My youngest and I celebrated a little in our home yesterday.  As I looked in the fridge/ freezer to see the ingredients I had on hand, I decided to use the bunch of Bok Choy I purchase earlier this week and  frozen chicken broth. Based on those ingredients  I researched recipes on the Internet and decided to make a light and filling soup. I decided to make egg rolls along with it. (I did have to run to the store to pick up a few more things to make the rolls). While at the local store I could not pass up the fresh rolled sushi so I picked up a couple veggie rolls. Dinner turned out delicious. It was pretty easy too. I apologize, I did not take pictures and I am using photos from the web.
Bok choy or pak choi is a Chinese leafy cabbage. It is very low in calories but rich source of vitamin C, and vitamin A. I think it truly is delicious. I love it in soups, salads, and stir fry. (image from google).
(image from google)
SOUP
3 cups of chicken broth
10 leaves of chopped bok choy
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 garlic clove, minced
1 chicken breast, cooked, chopped
dried mushrooms, rehydrated according to package (optional)
Bring broth to boil in medium saucepan. Add mushrooms. Stir in seasonings. Add chicken and bok choy. Simmer for up to 10 minutes or until leaves are dark green, wilted, and tender.
serves 4-6 people.
(image from google)
A lot of grocery stores sell EGG ROLLS already made up but, if not, you can always find them in your freezer section or of course make them on your own. There are many recipes and step by step directions on the Internet if you want  to attempt this. If you make your own, the veggie filling can be roasted on a cookie sheet in oven and the wrappers can be purchased in your Asian ethnic food aisle. You can use the stems left over from your bok choy  as part of your filling. I  baked then fried these in a pan on the stove in sesame/ veggie oil. YUM!

No comments: