3/8/12

Mini Bedroom Makeover

Back in February I got an itch to clean, tidy, and do a mini makeover in our master bedroom. I love the bold Polo-like plaid  wallpaper  but it is just that... "BOLD". We've been in our house nearly 10 years now and I was  getting tired of  the bedding and the "whole look".  I knew I could not afford to do a huge makeover but thought I could definitely do some little changes.
           I am sorry, I did not take before pictures- kinda embarrassing. I really thought it looked  dated.
I decided to keep the wallpaper after reading and following this blog: 
http://thewickerhouse.blogspot.com/ She did a whole month dedicated to plaid. It was really cool. It made me feel better about my "Out of date" bold plaid wallpaper.

 I bought a grey bedspread, folded my existing POLO-like comforter at the bottom of the bed. 
My mom made the blue pillows from existing pillows I had. They are covered with blue cloth napkins that I found at Target on clearance. I changed my curtains from navy valances to grey panels also found at Target on clearance. I found the grey and blue ruffled pillow at Target- it was on sale not clearance.  Gosh... I love that store...
I made pennant banner using Stampin Up!'s older Sizzix pennant Die cut, a few flowers, paper doilies, felt, old buttons, ribbon and the TASTEFUL TRIM Bigz XL Dies #120893. I think it looks fresh and adorable hanging from the large shelf above my bed. I added some coordinating paper flowers to the frames and monogram Y to add to the coordination.

I found the silver plate  and milk glass vase at a thrift store. I washed, polished and added a rub on I found years ago at a craft store onto the plate. I made the love shadow box a few years ago at an after school art class. I changed the lamp shade on these tall candlestick lamps.  I wrapped the new beaded lamp shades in blue striped wide ribbon to give a coordinating look. The pussy willows in the milk glass bud vase is a perfect way to add texture to this little corner space. (we are not going to talk about my near vintage alarm clock... yes, I still use that thing and have for about 20 years). I have natural rattan baskets on the shelf under each of our nightstands (not visible from photos).

Here is a photo of our large dresser. I bought a new lamp to coordinate with my curtains and the new smaller shades on the bedside lamps. I found it at Lowes. My husband hung a large mirror that I have had in many places around the house. I love it behind my dresser.
I know its nothing over the top spectacular but I am pleased with the outcome. My husband also has commented a few times on how much he really likes it. He loves the curtains and small  masculine details. Going from only having a valance and blinds to having lined curtains and blinds is a "HUGE" difference. We have noticed how much warmer and darker our room is now. It worked out for him a few weeks back when he was switched to third shift.

No comments: