3/5/12

FREEZER MEALS

Well I have jumped on the freezer meal bandwagon... its very popular now. I have read about it on other blogs  for a while and I found wonderful ideas on PINTEREST. It really makes sense. For those of you who aren't familiar, you buy in bulk and create many meals in which you then freeze in plastic containers, freezer bags or both. I did some casseroles and crock pot meals. I love my crock pot. I use my crock pot both in the summer and the winter. Its FABULOUS! I froze all my crock pot meals in freezer bags. Flatten bags the best you can, press the air out, and stack in freezer. (I have 2 refrigerators with freezers and a chest freezer) This freezer is just crock pot meals. My kitchen freezer has my freezer jams, waffles, ice cream, and things I use often. My chest freezer has large things like meats, frozen pizzas, frozen vegetables,  and heat and eat lunch and snack items.


 I got the ideas and recipes here:
She really did a nice job explaining in detail how to prep, freeze and cook when you use it.
I completed 12 crock pot meals in bags and assemble 4 casseroles. This will be so helpful for when I need something fast on those busy days or days I work.  Now what to make with those pie crusts?...

One of my family's favorite casseroles is lasagna. Its delicious on cold days and its  not hard to make either.

Lasagna
1 lb gr beef or sweet Italian sausage
(sometimes I mix half beef with half pork)
1 clove garlic, minced
1T Italian seasonings
1 1/2 tsp salt
1- 16 0z can tomatoes
2- 6oz cans tomato paste
lasagna noodles (non cook noodles)
2 eggs
3 C Ricotta cheese
1/2 C grated PParmesan cheese
2T Italian seasoning
1T Parsley
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 lb  fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese

Set noodles aside. Brown meat. Drain. Add next 5 ingredients but only . Simmer uncovered 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Beat eggs, add remaining ingredients but only 1/2 of shredded mozzarella. Put some sauce in bottom of 13x9x2 inch pan (just enough to coat). Layer noodles 3-5 (enough to cover bottom of pan) in bottom, spread 1/2 ricotta mixture, 1/2 meat sauce, rest of shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat but then add fresh mozzarella slices to top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. (you can refrigerate or freeze at this time- bake for 45 mins if refrigerated. If frozen, thaw overnight then bake 45-60 minutes). Let stand 10 mins. Serve. 10-12 servings.


I am refrigerating my lasagna for a couple days. I wrapped top with foil and then placed lid on top of my baking dish.
My second casserole is Manicotti. I used a disposable/ bakable/ freezable Ziploc container  to store this one.

Manicotti
1/2 lb Italian sausage, browned and drained
1 clove garlic
1tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried parsley
1- 15 oz can stewed Italian tomatoes
1- 6 oz paste
Manicotti noodles
3 C Ricotta cheese
2eggs
1/2 C Parmesan cheese, grated
2T Italian seasonings
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
Brown meat and drain. Add next 7 ingredients. Cook 30 minutes, Cook noodles as package directs. Beat eggs, add ricotta, Parmesan, 1/2 mozzarella, and seasonings. Mix well. Fill each pasta with cheese mixture. Place/ layer in baking dish. Cover with meat sauce. Cool. Place lid and wrap with foil. Freeze up to 2 months.

Crock Pot Chicken Spaghetti
(photo from Pinterest)
This is another casserole I made. Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti- YUMMY!!!!!
I doubled the recipe. We ate one for dinner yesterday and I froze the other. After cooking all day, I forgot to take pictures of this dish before my family devoured it. Everyone loved it.
You can find the recipe here:

No comments: